Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Tips and Tricks, So Far

So I'm still a newbie at this whole bed rest deal, but I want to share a few things as I think of them.   Tips and life hacks, if you will.

Here are things that I'm glad we did: 
Pack a quilt/blanket from home, your pillow and clothes that make you feel good - jeans, cute tops, earrings, whatever.   And pack your own toiletries and stuff that makes you feel pretty and more like you're at home.   This means shampoo, conditioner, shaver, Chapstick, brush, toothbrush & paste, hair products, makeup, etc.  You're going to be here a while, no shame in keeping yourself busy.   Lotion, you will need lotion.   And nail polish goes a long way towards making you feel human.  
Pack pictures and personal items from home.   My pictures of my family keep me smiling and focused.   
Don't be afraid to pack an entire suitcase for your hospital stay.   This isn't just an in and out birth experience.  :)   No shame and the nursing staff has commented many times how those who pack like we did survive better and thrive while here.

Pack snacks - you can always get more but you'll appreciate having them.    When you get into a long term room, you'll get a fridge and then you can pack things you like to drink (mine is Peach Snapple).   



I brought my own essential oils and Rolaids from home.  The staff had no problem with me using either as long as I told them I had them with me.    


That really does seem like a LOT of stuff and I sure felt silly wheeling in my suitcase, but I certainly don't now.   And the nursing staff backed that up - pack a suitcase.  :)

Greg takes my dirty clothes home every 2-3 days and brings new clothes.   Once a week he'll swap out my bedding for me.    I've even kicked around the idea of using a twin bedding set if we knew we would be here for sure for 6 weeks.   Again, the nursing staff even recommended it.    :)  

Look into what the hospital offers.    I just found out I can get prenatal massages as needed and I've already talked to the physical therapist who offers aromatherapy and acupuncture.    It's the little things like that which make me feel a little more in control of this wild ride.    They seemed silly to me before, but now I see the importance of taking care of your whole self - body, mind, spirit and all.  

Here's the clothesline that Greg made me - I absolutely LOVE it and love moving things around and adding more things as they come in.   The decorations and knickknacks make me happy.   It's twine, thumbtacks and mini binder clips.   I just love it!  Every day I rearrange things on there, adding things, taking things away.   It gives me something to do.  


I'll have more to share as things progress, but these are the things keeping me sane at the moment.  :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment